Friday, June 26, 2009

Lo Siento Michael Jackson

As I´m sure you all have heard by now, Michael Jackson died.
Well, Beth Ann and I, not having access to much television or internet had not been informed.
That is... until Carmen informed us at breakfast.
But what do you know? Communication breakdown...
It was early,We were getting ready for VBS and she was telling us something about Michael Jackson and then she said he´s 50 years old.... and something about him living in California....
We thought she told us it was his birthday.
It wasn´t until we got to the church that we discovered just how wrong we were. Someone asked if we had heard about him dying and we both said ¨no, it´s his birthday.¨
Sorry Michael, that we did not mourn accordingly.
Speaking of VBS, I am having a blast. It is an English speaking church that we are working at. That does NOT, however, mean that everyone there speaks English. They said a lot of parents put their kids in VBS to LEARN English.
If you speak to them in English and they just stare blankly at you, you try your hand at Spanish and you can USUALLY get a response.... except for this one time. I had a little boy in the arts and crafts room and I said ¨Hablas espanol?¨he said no... I said ¨so you speak English¨he said no... at that point I just gave up and went straight to miming. I suppose I could have guessed at his language but it wouldn´t have mattered since I really only know those two..... well one and half if we´re being technical.
Working in the Arts and Crafts room has been a blast and it has just been such a cool experience to work with these kids. The Pastors wife said she would count how many countries were represented at VBS tomorrow. But it is incredible how many different kids there are from different countries. One of our professors always says that it is what heaven will look like.
I was really ready to come home the other day, but now I am starting to get that bittersweet feeling about it. Last night we went to a Flamenco show and it really sank it how AMAZING this experience has been and how I am going to remember it for the rest of my life. I´m so thankful to have had a chance to get to come here.
Oh, and as if we weren´t hated enough already, USA beat Spain in futbol. Perfect.
I can´t believe I only have a few of these left.
Hasta Luego.
Spain Lesson # 18: Do not react too strongly to any news you may recieve in another language. Even if you think you understand... you can be wrong. You can be SO wrong.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio