Saturday, May 30, 2009

SNEAKY COLOMBIANS

Well, day two has come to a close.
I would really like to have ONE uneventful day. Nope… not possible.
After spending all afternoon doing homework in the Plaza de Espana (an AMAZING park), we walked around the city and scoped out some things we wanted to come back to. While we were in the park, we met a lot of different people. Two of my personal favorites were: the man who approached with “Vengo en paz” (I come in peace) he was quite a character and got very frustrated with having to repeat himself. There was also the police officer, Fernando, that we befriended when Robyn waved at him (we wave to everyone but apparently that is not something people do often in Madrid…. So it’s basically like raising your hand and saying “Hi, I’m from America”). When he saw that we were American he came to practice his English with us. We definitely didn’t see THAT coming! He said he had never heard of any of our names before except Robyn’s… he asked “Is like Batman y robin No?”


When we were finally ready to come back for dinner at 9:30 (they eat SO late here AND the sun was still out), we caught the metro. It was VERY VERY crowded because we were traveling from Sol (the center of the city). Beth Ann and Meredith saw a man with a jacket over his hand reaching to unzip my purse…. They quickly told me that I should move it to the front of me…little did we know, another man was stealing Robyn’s wallet. There were SIX of them, and they would not stop attempting to unzip my purse even after I moved it… They kind of do this Stevie Wonder thing where they look everywhere but at your purse its VERY tricky... When we came home and acted it out for Carmen, she told us it was probably a Colombian man. Apparently they move to Madrid and cannot get jobs so they take to stealing on crowded metros… at least I think that is what she said.
Poor Robyn is such a trooper though. She handled it VERY well…. Whereas I, on the other hand, would have started crying right then and there in the metro.
Hopefully tomorrow will not be QUITE so eventful.
We will be having school at 7 PM tomorrow, which stinks because it is a Saturday, but it will still be good because we can SLEEP IN!
Soon I will give you details about our apartment… there may even be a picture or two!
I probably wont be able to update until Monday because we are taking a trip on Sunday (and I only have internet at school). So, until then I will leave you with lesson #2.

Spain Lesson #2- Watch out for sneaky little Columbian men especially ones with jackets and shirts over their hands. They are persistent, very small, and they want your wallet.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio