Friday, May 29, 2009

Communication Breakdown

Hola!

Sorry I have not updated sooner. I have been in a desperate search for accesso de internet a WIFI! (pronounced weefee)

Highlights of the first day:

1. I got pooped on by a bird after school.
2. I got hit by a car.
(Don't worry mom, I'm not hurt)

Oh yeah, and Beth and I got lost TWICE.
Catalina Y Beth Ann- 0 Madrid-2

Conversation as we got off of the plane...
Beth- I'm so worried we are going to run out of things to say after 15 minutes!
Me- Beth, there is no WAY we are lasting a whole 15 minutes...

When we met Carmen-
Carmen- Hola-- (kiss kiss) <- still not used to that
Caitlin- hola
Beth- hola
THE END.

I learned very quickly that I do not know Spanish. (however, no one speaks english so I am diving in head first and have already made progress)

I will probably be VERY good at miming by the end of the trip!
This morning Carmen was trying to tell us that there was honey for our bread and actually buzzed around the kitchen like a bee!
VERY FUNNY.... and helpful!

Our Spanish family is Carmen (madre 70), Padre (we don’t know his name 74) and Raquel (their daughter, she’s 30), but during the day Carmen keeps her Grandson ,Antonio, he is one and absolutely precious. It definitely helps me to not go crazy missing Carson!

When we got home, I showed Carmen pictures of my family. I told her that my parents were 500 years old (on accident) to which she responded “But they look so young” then Padre and Carmen had a good laugh. They seem to enjoy our little slip ups… Sometimes Carmen gets to talking though and I have no idea what she is saying. I’m sure our eyes get so big because she always throws up her arms and says “No comprende?” She has also made a habit of sticking out her tongue at us when she talks for a long time and we don’t understand any of it!

Luckily Raquel speaks a LITTLE English.

Meals are interesting to say the least. Dinner the first night was a salad with fish…. The fish still had heads. Each meal is an adventure.

We had to buy a phone yesterday... that was a trip. I actually got sort of kicked out of the store because I kept saying Bien and Si where it did not apply! I feel very bad for the women who helped us. BUT I got my phone AND she put it in English for me!

Oh and as for getting hit by a car:
We were on our walking tour of Madrid, and we were going down an ally in sol when a car brushed against me somewhat rapidly. Luckily my foot narrowly escaped the tire. (my comfy shoes were unharmed, mom) My Professor said a few choice words and that was that.

Beth and I are conquering the metro system and are already zooming around the city with ease. As for navigating the streets, that is a different story…. they are mostly conquering us.


Spain Lesson #1: The C on the sink does not mean cold. Should you choose to use it, your toothbrush will be VERY hot. CALIENTE!

4 Words to sum up the trip so far:

Lost, Sweaty, Fish-heads, FANTASTIC

I’m sorry this is so scatterbrained. I am writing this quickly between classes.


Hasta luego!

P.S. You should all be very proud that I got this posted. I have enough trouble using a blog in English, but the internet here is in SPANISH!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio